Rooted in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), “Toxins” are the substances that affect the body and its Qi. These toxins are acquired daily from air pollution, water pollution, and metabolic waste produced in the body. If these toxins are not flushed out, some of its adverse effects include the manifestation of intense emotions and accelerated aging of five internal organs. However, these toxins can be expelled by detoxification through acupuncture points. Acupuncture points are points in the body whose skin area has holes, and qi, a life force, would flow. The acupuncture points are directly located within the meridians or pathways of the body. The primary meridians are those associated with the internal organs of the body. One of these organs directly accessed through an acupuncture point running through a primary meridian in the foot is the spleen, a lymphatic organ responsible for filtering blood and transporting body fluids. The code for the meridian associated with the spleen is “SP,” and one of its acupuncture points is “SP5 Acupuncture point”, or otherwise known as “Shangqiu”. Besides, there are other acupuncture points for the five internal organs, and you can see them in the meridian map below:
The SP5 acupuncture point location is on the foot extremity, specifically on the medial side of the ankle, at the midpoint of the tuberosity of the navicular bone and tip of the medial malleolus, on the depression distal and inferior to the medial malleolus.
The spleen is detoxified by accessing the SP5 acupuncture point and applying acupressure. You can use acupressure on it by following these steps:
- Using the fingers, apply firm and deep pressure by rubbing it to the acupuncture point location. The direction of pressure can be in a small circular motion or by pressing the point up-and-down.
- A piercing or painful sensation should be felt after applying pressure.
- Continue rubbing in the same motion for about three minutes and do on both feet.
Acupressure on the acupoint and detoxification of the spleen brings the following benefits:
- Tonification of Spleen – this resolves the dampness in the spleen and removes the toxins from the excess fluid absorbed. This also relieves the excess vaginal discharge for women.
- Spiritual Calmness – acupressure brings calmness to mind and relieves depressing or anxious thoughts.
- This is also one of the best acupoints of acupuncture for a sprained ankle.
While the spleen is one of the organs that the acupoint benefits from, more organs are associated with different acupuncture points. These organs and their respective acupuncture points are discussed below.
The heart is a muscular organ that pumps blood throughout the whole body. It is an integral part of the human body, and the human body can’t function without it. Its meridian code is HT, and one of its acupuncture points is HT8, also known as the “Shaofu” point. Unlike the SP5 acupuncture point, the HT8 is located on the hand. The HT8 acupuncture point is located between the 4th and 5th metacarpal bones of the palm. See the diagram above.
When the heart is filled with toxins, it manifests many unhealthy symptoms and signs, indicating that it is not working optimally. To aid the body in flushing toxins, below is a detailed step on how to apply acupressure on the HT8 acupuncture point:
- Using the fingers, press the acupuncture point located between the palm 4th and 5th fingers.
- Press the acupuncture point with a force until a sharp sensation is felt. You can also let the fingers move in a circular motion or press the acupuncture point repetitively.
Like other acupuncture points, heart detoxification applying pressure on the HT8 acupuncture point has its unique benefits:
- Get rid of tongue ulcers and forehead acne.
- Improvement of the sleep pattern.
- Relief from chest tightness or constipation.
Another internal organ that is associated with TCM’s meridians is the kidneys. Kidneys are bean-shaped organs that are part of the renal system whose primary purpose is to eliminate waste from the body. The acupuncture points for kidneys run through the meridian coded as KI, and the kidney organ can be detoxified by applying acupressure on KI1 or “Yongquan” point. The KI1 acupuncture point is located on the foot extremity – on the first ⅓ area of the sole. The point is located between the 2nd and 3rd metatarsal bones, in a depression at the junction of the anterior ⅓ and posterior ⅔ of the line connecting the base of the 2nd 3rd toes with the heel. Alternatively, you can curl your toes, and you will find a depression in that region. That depression is Kl1 acupuncture point.
The kidney plays an essential part in making our body toxin-free, and it can be detoxified by accessing the KI1 acupuncture point with acupressure. Here’s how it is done:
- Using the fingers, press the acupuncture point. Use only light force when pressing the acupuncture point.
- Press and knead the acupuncture point for five minutes.
Benefits of acupressure on the KI1:
- Improve kidney’s ability to discharge excess fluid.
- Acne located in the jaw area is reduced or gone.
- Improve menstrual flow for women.
- Experts also recommend using this acupoint and kidney 9 acupuncture point to rejuvenate your hair.
The liver is a vital organ that is a part of the digestive system whose primary function is to process the nutrients absorbed from the small intestine. Because it plays an important role, it is also prone to many different toxins within the body. The acupuncture points for this organ runs through the meridian coded in as LV, and one of its acupuncture points is the “Taichong” point or the LV3 acupuncture point. This acupuncture point is located in the foot, specifically in a depression distal to the junctions of the 1st and 2nd metatarsal bones and the foot’s dorsum.
The liver can be detoxified by applying acupressure on the acupuncture point with these simple steps:
- Locate the acupuncture point in the depression behind the first and second toes.
- Using the thumb, press the point until a minor sore feeling is experienced.
- Knead with the thumb for about three to five minutes using a light force.
- Do the steps above alternately on both feet.
If the liver is successfully detoxified, the following indicators of a toxic liver will likely be achieved too:
- Less breast pain experienced before menstruation.
- Relieve any emotional depression experienced.
- Less migraine or acne on the face.
- This is also one of the best foot pressure points for back pain, according to TCM.
Another vital internal organ is the lungs. As part of the respiratory system, it helps the human body to breathe. For the lungs, detoxification can be done through the acupuncture point LI4, also known as the “Hegu” point, and runs in the meridian coded in LI. This acupuncture point is located on the hand, specifically between the first and second metacarpal bones and the midpoint between the metacarpal bone on its radial side. Alternatively, push your thumb against your hand, and a muscle protrudes. The highest point of the protruding muscle is the Hegu acupoint.
The detoxification process of the lungs through the Hegu point is done through the following steps:
- Locate the Hegu point on your hand and place it in between your thumb and index finger.
- Pinch the acupuncture point and press it hard. There should be a painful sensation.
- Do this alternatively with the other hand.
Some of the positive effects of detoxification through the LI4 acupuncture point include:
- Prevent constipation.
- Skin will no longer be dull or dry.
- Reduce lethargy and negative feelings.
- This acupoint of also one of the thirteen acupressure points for tired eyes, according to TCM.